CRITERIA(S) FOR THE APPLICATION OF PhD STUDY UNDER THE BRIGHT SPARKS PROGRAM
1. Has completed Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA of at least 3.00/4.00.
2. Must not exceed 40 years of age at the time of application.
3. Must be unemployed and not attached to any organization.
4. Must not be sponsored by any Federal/State or any other Statutory Bodies.
5. International candidate must obtain a minimum English requirement of IELTS Band 6.0 or TOEFL 550 (paper based) / 213 computer based) / 80 (internet based). The validity of the IELTS/TOEFL is within 2 years from the date of the examination.
6. Must be supervised by a supervisor who has good track record of Index Journal of Web of Science (WoS) publication and have sufficient research grant.
7. Secured offer letter of PhD admission at University of Malaya.
8. Must attend an interview conducted at the Faculty level.
9. Must be free from any debt with the University of Malaya.
Existing PhD Candidate
(Semester 1 to 4 only)
(1) Must have published as a main author of at least THREE (3) research articles in Index Journal (WoS)* with impact factor (Tier 1 to Tier 4) related to the field of research; AND
(2) Must have a qualification of Master’s Degree by Research; OR
(3) Must have a qualification of Master’s Degree by Coursework and Dissertation with Distinction of CGPA of at least 3.70/4.00.
(4) Candidate without the qualification of Master's Degree, must have a qualification of Bachelor’s Degree (Fast Track) with Distinction of CGPA of at least 3.70/4.00.
Candidate with Master’s Degree by Research
(1) Must have published as a main author of at least THREE (3) research articles in Index Journal (WoS)* with impact factor (Tier 1 to Tier 4) related to the field of research.
Candidate with Master’s Degree by Coursework and Dissertation
(1) Must have obtained a Distinction of CGPA of at least 3.70/4.00; AND
(2) Must have published as a main author of at least ONE (1) research article in Index Journal (WoS)* with impact factor (Tier 1 to Tier 4) related to the field of research.
Important Notes :
1. The academic qualification for Bright Sparks entry requirement must be in accordance and equivalent to University of Malaya Grading System based on CGPA out of 4.00.
2. *Three (3) databases of Index Journal (WoS) publications recognised by University of Malaya :
i) Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED)
ii) Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI)
iii) Arts & Humanities Citation Index (A&HCI)
3. The articles in items 2 (i), (ii) and (iii) above must not be listed under the followings :
i) Beall's List - http://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/
ii) Hijacked Journal - http://scholarlyoa.com/other-pages/hijacked-journals/
iii) Suppressed titles - http://ipscience-help.thomsonreuters.com/incitesLive/JCRGroup/titleSuppressions.html
- Faculty of Engineering - Offered to existing PhD candidate who is in the 1st - 4th semester only.
- 50% (local candidates) and 50% (international candidates) for each offered Faculties.
Candidates will also be assessed based on :
- Interest and commitment in research
- Quality of PhD research
- Assessment of ideas for research
- Commitment to support UM via contribution in the field of research
- Additional knowledge and skills (for example : knowledge in IT)
- Communication and writing skills (in seminars and essays)
- Feedback from supervisor and / or examiner
- Excellent Personal Traits : attitude, discipline, communication skills, motivation, proactive, teamwork and other positive traits
Decision on the selection of candidates for this program is final.